Wearing sunglasses is trendy and fashionable. They come in a huge variety of styles and colours that is now seen as an essential part of a complete outfit, and even to define one’s personality. Beyond shading your eyes, they have other crucial benefits. Sunglasses play a vital role in protecting one’s eyes from both the elements and UV rays from the sun.
- We may not always be aware of the many particles that are in the air. Some of these types of particles include sand, dust, and grit – all of which can damage your eyes and affect your vision. Wear sunglasses and prevent the pain!
- Exposing your eyes to sunlight over the long-term increases your chance of developing a sun-related disease. Wearing the right sunglasses, with UV protection, will help to shield your eyes from the sun’s UV rays which can lead to cataracts. Prolonged exposure to bright sunlight can also lead to glaucoma or pterygium of the eye (surfer’s eye).
- Being out in the sun without sunglasses may cause you to squint because of the glare. Wearing sunglasses will help promote improved and more comfortable vision. The dark lenses block the glare of the sun and allow you to see much more clearly.
- When you wear sunglasses with UV protection, it shields the area of skin around your eyes and thus, will help you reduce skin damage and keep you looking younger. Some studies have shown that wearing glasses will minimize wrinkles. At Dr Specs Optical, custom sunglasses with 100% UV400 protection are available. Drop by our showroom to see the many models we carry!
- If you have recently had eye surgery, sunglasses will be a very important part of your recovery process. Right after a PRK or LASIK procedure, ophthalmologists usually advise their patients to wear sunglasses with UV protection.
At Dr Specs Optical, our experienced staff will assist you in choosing the right pair of sunglasses. We can also perform eye tests and prepare prescription sunglasses. If you’re looking for a place to ensure your eyes are healthy and protected, then visit us in Kelowna. To set up an appointment, or to ask us any questions, please give us a call!